- Dory is running gentoo x86_64. www.gentoo.org and www.gentoo-wiki.org have lots of detailed documentation.
- Creating an account: Figure out you CS dept uid by logging into a department server, and running "ls -n". Now log into dory as root, and type
/root/add_graphics_user.sh username uid [additional options to adduser]This will create an account and home directory for you with the proper uid, and add you to the other local groups you should be a member of. It will also prompt you to create a password.
- You can set up network shares to be automatically mounted/unmounted on login/out using pam_mount. Look at ~bjbrown/.pam_mount.conf for an example configuration file for this.
- The online database of packages for gentoo is at packages.gentoo.org. You can also run the following at the command line:
emerge -s searchspec
- Package installation: The gentoo packaging system is called portage. Refresh the local package database with
emerge --sync. Test what will be installed with
emerge -p package_listFinally, install with
- Questions about the linux installation on this machine should be directed to bjbrown.