COS/MUS 314 spring2014
Welcome to COS/MUS 314 for Spring 2014. Resistance is futile.
In addition to YOU, the following are involved in teaching this course:
- Jeffrey Snyder, Technical Director, Princeton Computer Music Studios, Director of PLOrk, Associate Research Scholar
- Katie Wolf, PhD Candidate, Computer Science
- Dave Molk, PhD Candidate, Music Composition
Other Important People whose names will come up
- Perry Cook and Dan Trueman, professors and PLOrk founders
- Ge Wang, PLOrk founder, creator of ChucK, now leads rival Stanford LOrk
- Rebecca Fiebrink, CS professor and PLOrk expert
- Dan Iglesia, former visiting lecturer and computer music guru
Download Chuck at  and purchase Max at . Please purchase the 12-month authorization for $59.00. This cost is in lieu of a textbook, although we recommend purchasing the textbook in the resources section below.
- Lectures on Mondays and Wednesday from 3:00-4:20pm, Woolworth 106
- Class begins: February 3
- Spring break: Week of March 17
- TBD: final project presentations (public event)
- Be sure you're on the piazza list.
- We recommend purchasing the eBook: Programming for Musicians and Digital Artists by Ajay Kapur, Perry Cook, Spencer Salazar, and Ge Wang which can be found here.
- PLOrk Reader; lots and lots of reading relevant to PLOrk and this seminar in general. please add as you see fit, and ask us for the password for protected papers if you can't guess it.
- See the extensive list of resources at the Fall 2007 Wiki for starters.
COS/MUS 314 Info
- Jeff: (josnyder AT princeton ) by appointment
- Katie: (kewolf AT princeton) by appointment
- Dave: (dmolk AT princeton) by appointment
Tentative lecture schedule
- 2/3: Intro to the ChucK Universe
- Brief intro to digital audio: sampling and analog/digital conversion
- Brief intro to miniAudicle & ChucK!
- Coding in ChucK 101
- See Rebecca's handout on ChucK basics
- patches, unit generators, and the dac
- primitive types (int, float) and numerical constants
- calling functions of UGens
- the Std.mtof special function
- controlling time in ChucK
- Listening Assignment 1 assigned, due 2/5/14 by class time
- Programming Assignment 1 assigned, due 2/9/14 at 11:59PM
- 2/5: Electronic Music History Part 1 and synthesis
- Discussion of listening assignment
- Listening Assignment 2 assigned, due 2/12/14 by class time
- 2/10: Further ChucK and synthesis
- Listening Assignment 1: due 2/5/14
- Listening Assignment 2: due 2/12/14
- See piazza post for details
- Assignment 1: due 2/10/13
- [link tbd]