Revision as of 03:57, 15 September 2006 by Gewang
"Small Sounds Sketches" : Create a Performance for 5 Laptops (no additional amplification)
- due: in class | Thursday, September 28th, 2006
- design a live musical performance using 4 or 5 laptops
- the only audio amplifications available will be the onboard laptop speakers.
- pieces should be 2 to 4 minutes in duration
Some Issues to Consider
- what sounds to employ, especially given the constraint of using only laptop speakers?
- how will be the piece be performed? who/what will perform it?
- how will the piece engage the performers? how will it engage the audience?
- will there be a conductor? if so, how should the performance be conducted?
- what software(s), hardware (if any) will you use?
- what is the role of the laptops in the performance?
- since we haven't begun covering the technical issues (networking, MIDI input, sensors, programming etc.), you may find it difficult to implement desired features (for example, perhaps you want MIDI keyboard or mouse input, or synchronization). Do your best with what you got.
- related: programming is of course allowed, but not mandatory in this project. Remember this should be "laptop-mediated", but beyond that you are feel to do and use whatever you choose. It is important, however, to pay attention to
- in class performance
- instructions, if any, for human performers
- instructions, if any, for human conductors
- instructions, if any, for the laptop (programs, sound files)
- program notes, if any
- special requirements (spatial, lighting, etc.)
- README file explaining your approach in creating the performance, what tools you used, any difficulties you encountered, and any additional notes.