PLOrk speaker building notes
PLOrk_speaker_building_to_do_list (A list of problems and stuff that needs fixing)
A place for useful notes on building the new silver hemispheres, sorted by step:
- Make sure feet are in the right place BEFORE drilling holes for the amps. :-(
- Screw holes:
- Amps: 5/32"
- Power jack: 7/16"
- Pot.: 3/8"
- Don't break drill bits.
- Audio wires from the RCA sextet to the 6-channel pot need to be a little longer than we first thought: 14"-16" inches
- The white wire with the blue stripe (attached to the amps) is junk - replace all of that
- Striped wire = +12v
- Scott's new color-coding for the RCA sextet: 1 = Blue, 2 = Blue/Black, 3 = Orange, 4 = Orange/Black, 5 = Green, 6 = Green/Black
- Channel numbering for the RCA jacks on the bottom of the speaker:
- White row: 5 4 2
- Red row: 6 3 1 (5 and 6 seem backwards - we should check again)
Preparing the rings and drivers
- The sticky stuff on the foam rings for the drivers isn't too good - a lot of them fell off over night. Maybe save this step until the drivers are ready to be screwed on to a hemi.
Installing The Drivers
- Don't forget to put the ring over the wire before soldering the speaker to it. Forgetting to do this is lame. Current score: Dan: 5 or more, Jascha: 2, Cameron: 1. dan wins!!! (Putting the ring on backwards is also lame. Current score: Dan: 1, Jascha: 1.)
- Trim the excess tape from the screw-holes with something before putting the screws in - not doing this can sometimes gum the screws up and make it annoying and needlessly difficult to get them in.
"Checks, Configuration, De-Buzzing, etc." (added by PRC 4/20/08)
Stuff I'm checking on all 8 DeLoreans:
I. Channel Order: Channel 1 is Presonus front, speaker should face you with volume knob on the upper right.
That's channel 1, channels 2-5 process clockwise (looking from top), and channel 6 is top speaker.
II. Filed/Dremeled a couple of rings where the volume knob rubs.
III. Put feet on the PreSonus
Unit 0: I, II, III
Unit 1: I, II, III
Unit 2: I, II, (No Feet on this one, something funny, but don't worry)
Unit 3: I, II, III
Unit 4: Dan's Got This One right now
Unit 5: I, II, III
Unit 6: I, II (Need to find more feet, please find Presonus Manuals, feet therein)
Unit 7: I, II, III
- debuzzing: there is a wire cover on the wire between + and the cap on each driver; it is loose and rattles at some freqs. it's best to tape it down with a little electrical tape; seems to help a lot. (dt)