Sam's Final Project: PLOrk PLOrk Revolution
What is Sol?
Sol is an interactive piece of electronic music heavily inspired by Star Control II, a computer game published in 1992. In Sol, you control a vessel which you can pilot around the inner solar system. Each planet has a theme (à la Holst); as the ship gets closer to the planet, first an ambient soundscape and then melodic elements begin to emerge. Deep space also has its own theme. Many of the samples, melodies, and graphics are taken from the original game.
Star Control II is easily one of the best games of all time. But don't take my word for it! Gamespot and IGN agree! Best of all, the game was open sourced a few years back and adapted for modern platforms by some dedicated fans, so I highly recommend you give it a try... it's awesome and free!
How do I use Sol?
You must have a copy of Processing and the latest version of the ChucK programming language compiled from the CVS source. (Or, for Spring 2008 PLOrkers, the new version of miniAudicle Dan Trueman emailed us a few weeks back will work.) To start Sol, first run the Processing sketch, and then run the
sol.ck file in ChucK.
The controls are simple:
- Arrow keys for moving the ship around.
- Space bar to brake. Pressing space a few times will slow you down; holding down space will stop you.
I'm too lazy to do all that!
Well, then listen to some prerecorded examples! That's so easy that even you can't whine about it!
- Listen to an MP3 of an audio-only runthrough.
- Watch a streaming video. Sorry about the quality...that's what you get with Google Video. Feel free to suggest a better host if you know of one. If you don't like it, you can always...
- Download the high-res version. (It will play in VLC.)
Princeton University, Computer Science
Class of 2009